Monday 5 June 2023

Builder Turned Barber

A former builder has opened a barber shop in his back garden. David Hollick, 56, from Swadlincote, said he fancied a career change after 30 years in the building trade. He spent 11 months building and fitting out a shed in his back garden that now serves as a 1950s-style barber shop, complete with plumbing for a sink and toilet. He said: "I got bored and wanted a new challenge in life. For years, I've been saying I need to do something else." Mr Hollick said he had returned to college three years ago to study to be a barber - something he did alongside his building work. "I worked in the building trade for many, many years," he said. "The building trade's not easy. "It's a lot of hard, heavy lifting. I thought I fancied having a go [at hairdressing]. "I went and enrolled on a college course." He then got a job at a salon in Church Gresley, near Swadlincote, before deciding to open his own business on 9 May. His salon contains one red leather barber's chair - giving room for one customer to get a cut - and a bench where others can wait. However, he said having a business based at the bottom of the garden has its perks.